Sunday, November 4, 2018

Ich bin kaputt: The Truth About Learning the German Language

While it might be true that learning a language is not connected to general intellectual giftedness whatsoever,  you simply cannot dismiss that it doesn’t involve as much intellectual relevance as Philosophy or Social Sciences.
I have been attending university for a German language course. And for almost four months, everything has been an uphill climb. Unlike English, where there are no complicated word order patterns and gender in inanimate objects, the intricacies of Deutsch right off the bat tells you that it’s not to be messed with. I kid you not. Learning Deutsch is like tinkering a high-end Cisco router due to bandwidth congestion. Excuse me for the technical jargon. I couldn’t think of a more fitting description.
My basic Deutsch course is nearing its end and it has left me conflicted. I seem to have developed a love-hate feeling toward the language. I love it just because. No, of course I will not leave you hanging. I love the language because I want to be a nurse in Germany. I mean, it comes with the job I am passionate about, so loving the language makes it a part of my commitment. Plus, there’s Goethe and Schiller. I am big on poetry and literature so there‘s that too. I figured that it‘s just difficult not to love the pioneers of a movement that emphasized on individualism, nature and feeling.
For some reason, I can’t seem to validate my hate for learning the language. It’s probably just my self-loathing for not being able to equate my passion to the actual demands of learning. I am gutted.
So much for an end to this narrative, I am dispelling all the negative waves in the atmosphere.
Guten Tag alle zusammen! 😊☺️🙃🙂
Rochelle Villaflor ©️04/11/2018