Friday, November 16, 2018

My Random Thoughts: Filipino Women

Do Filipino women only see foreign men as a means to an end? I have been plagued by such a question on Quora, a question and answer social media platform. 
And my answer was,”Yes and no.”
I reckon that our values depend on our upbringing. 
As a kid, I was raised by my grandma, who has always emphasized on hardwork and integrity. I think she overcompensated a little, raising me and my sister because our setup was different. I would not say dysfunctional because my grandma did a fantastic job. She went over and beyond filling in for my mom who was missing in action.
I’m not saying this to diss women with different values. I am only pointing out that  despite our different struggles, be it financial, emotional or psychological, our core values will always keep us afloat.
Having lived abroad for a certain amount of time, I found out from a work colleague who said, “Filipino women are only two things; either a golddigging whore or a housekeeper.” As a Filipino, hearing that was downright degrading. So I blurted back, “Have you been living under a rock all your life? Not all Filipino women are the same.” 
Filipinas, are just like women of any other race. There are decent ones who only want nothing but love and companionship. While there are also women who are cheating, golddigging leeches. The thing is, if you are a foreign man looking for a wife, don’t go looking in the wrong places. Don’t expect a wife material out of a woman who frequents bars. That’s common sense, dude. 
I shouldn’t have to remind those who accidentally came across this narrative that this is my personal take on the matter. If I ruffled your feathers, it’s not my intention. 


16.Nov.2018 ©️Rochelle Villaflor